For the last couple of years I have wanted to purchase a bread machine. I love to cook but I am not a baker. I can't make bread. My son especially loves bread and I want to be able to give him fresh hot bread baked from home but I always seem to knead it too much or burn it.
I have looked and looked at bread makers in the stores and would not break down and buy one. For two reasons, price and the size of the machine. The cost for a bread machine starts around $40 and can go up to over $100. That was not in my budget. Plus. It is a larger appliance that would have to sit on your counter top when baking and stored away when not in use if you don't want to leave it on the counter top. I try (try) to not have too many things on the counter tops so this was an issue also with purchasing a bread machine.
Well, I was at a yard sale on Saturday and saw a bread machine. She had it marked at $3. I was the only one at the sale at the time so I started talking to her about the machine. I told her I always wanted one and shared my reasons on why I haven't got one yet. The machine had the book still with it and all the pieces were still there and looked new. She said she used it a couple of times but she never cooks at home so it would just sit there. I was going to buy the machine at $3 but before I could get my money out, she said, I will give this to you at $1.50. I was so excited.
Now keep in mind, this was Saturday and today is Thursday. We have made 5 loaves of bread so far. We love the machine. My son waits for it to finish. I know, we will need to slow down on the intake of the bread but WE LOVE THIS MACHINE!!.
I figured the cost of the bread and we are saving around $1.05 for our honey wheat bread per loaf. We have sliced it, grilled it, and it works just like regular loaf bread that I buy in the store. I can't say it enough, We love this machine. I will start storing the machine in my pantry when it is not in use and pull it out when needed. But for now, it has not been in use.
Today, I am trying the feature of delayed baking. I have all the ingredients to make herb bread in the machine and at 3 p.m. it is to come on and have a fresh loaf baked by 5:30 pm. I can't wait to come home and smell the fresh loaf of herb bread.
Now, why have I told you all about this excitement in our home? I highly recommend you getting a bread machine if you don't have one. Go to good will, or a thrift store, check out Craig's list, or a yard sale. You will be able to make your family bread that is healthier, and cheaper than what you can buy in the store. You can buy organic ingredients and still make the bread a lot cheaper than what you buy in the store.

The picture above is the bread machine I bought this weekend and the best part is I paid $1.50 for it and I have a happy son.

6 Thoughts Shared

  1. Together We Save // 28 May, 2009  

    Wow - now that is a good deal.

  2. Anna // 28 May, 2009  

    I know I am so excited over my new (used) toy!

  3. Lara Lynn // 29 May, 2009  

    Hi! I'm Walraven's sister - she turned me onto your blog and I'm addicted. You inspired me to dig out my bread machine yesterday and I must admit, I think I'm hooked. Thanks for the tips!

  4. Anna // 29 May, 2009  

    Lara Lynn, great to hear from you. thanks for reading the blog. I enjoy sharing. Beth is dear to my heart. she was my son's teacher in 3rd grade and he loved her. I miss having her in Louisville.
    Let me know if you have some great bread recipes. I would love to try some new ones.

  5. Anonymous // 30 May, 2009  

    I have a thing for recipe books and i recieved a bread maker for my wedding i make this one alot but the key is to use the dough function on your breadmaker and once the dough has formed fluff it with a fork then cook it. i also found that when i put the butter on top, it tasted great, but it didn't look right. good luck
    Wonder Bread
    1 1/4 cups water
    4 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 teaspoons salt
    1/4 cup unsalted butter − melted
    4 cups unbleached all−purpose flour
    1/4 cup semolina
    (or, another 1/4 cup all−purpose or bread flour)
    melted butter for glazing
    Process ingredients on the dough cycle in your machine.
    Gently deflate dough. Form into an oblong loaf and place in a
    lightly greased 9" x 5" loaf pan. Place entire affair in a large
    plastic bag. Allow to rise until the dough is about 1 inch
    above pan rim. Brush with melted butter.
    Preheat oven to 350F.
    Bake 30 to 35 minutes until evenly browned.

  6. Anna // 31 May, 2009  

    wow . Thanks for the recipe. I will try it this week.
    THANKS!!!